The SOUL of
A Town and Estuary
where the River Slaney meets the Irish Sea
"A Wexford Masterpiece and the work of
greatest importance and Art". That's how Author and Historian Nicky
Furlong described the book
"Voted Book of the Year" by The Wexford Book Centre
The beauty of the
Slaney River Estuary
The objective of the Wexford Town and Slaney Estuary Photographic project is to assemble original and best available photography into a book that conveys the significantly distinctive features of Wexford Town and the River Slaney Estuary at this time. This book will help to educate people and promote the area to its native population and to visitors and business decision-makers in a wider world.
The imagery in this compilation includes photographs from Wexford Town and the Slaney Estuary, which convey both leisure and commercial activities, some of the town’s magnificent architecture, places of worship and distinctive features that make up the soul of Wexford.
Much of the past has already been replaced in a short period of a few years by modern buildings, streetscapes, fashions and other features.
This book, the first
of a series, will provide a benchmark at this time in the early part of
the 21st Century, against which future developments can be measured.
is located in the south east
corner of Ireland where the beautiful River Slaney flows into the Irish
Sea. The town dates back to the Vikings who formed the town in c.AD 800.Through the years,
Wexford has witnessed revolution, strife and great achievement socially,
culturally and economically. Once a successful seaport, the dredging of
the changing sand banks in the estuary became commercially unviable to
maintain and dredging ceased in the late 1960s, closing the harbour to
sea-going ships. The port is now being utilised by mussel dredgers and
Prominent among the town’s resources are its churches of mixed denominations with their fine architectural features. Notable churches within the town include The Friary, St. Iberius church, the Presbyterian church. the ‘Twin churches’ at Bride Street and Rowe Street with their distinctive spires, and impressive Saint Peter's College, with a chapel designed by Augustus Welby Pugin. A former Quaker meeting hall is now a band room in High Street. The Adoration Convent, with its magnificent examples of wood work, was added onto Bride Street Church in 1875 and is connected to the church by a cloister.
St John of God Convent has a beautiful chapel and there are fine examples of woodwork and tiles throughout the building. The large walled garden is home to the order’s graveyard, peaceful grounds and vegetable gardens with produce used to complement the convent’s food supply.
The original Clonard Church, was built in 1970. As the congregation grew, an expansion of the church took place in 1998 and is of modern construction. It features an elaborate congregation and altar area, a fine tapestry by Anne Heffernan and modern stained glass windows by the artist Gillian Deeny.
Another church, Selskar Abbey, now a roofless ruin, was ransacked and its priests killed by the troops of Oliver Cromwell in 1649. It is said King Henry II did penance for the murder of his friend Thomas á Becket here in 1170.
He specialises in creating outstanding art from the
natural world around him, and in conveying the essence of the diverse
architectural designs that enhance people’s lives.